June 05, 2006

Can't take the burning

Many of my neighbors insist on burning their garbage and yard waste, and it drives me nuts. The neighbors just to the north of me were burning so much that I actually knocked on their front door and asked them to stop the burning as it was affecting my health and making it hard for me to breathe. While driving home about a week ago, I noticed another local neighbor burning something, and their fire was belching out large amounts of smoke that lingers over the road. I actually turned the car around, walked up to this house and asked the residents to please not burn as it was being extremely disrespectful to their neighbors and the community at large.

I just don't understand what is going on in these people's minds. Do they enjoy releasing noxious gas into the atmosphere that help contribute to the greenhouse effect? I've decided probably the next best step is to write to the local county representative and ask the county that I reside in to implement a law that enforces a permanent burn ban, since they implement a burn ban during the summer.

No comments: